I've developed the habit of searching the DVR guide each week using keywords, "china" or "adoption" to find television shows on either subject to record. Many people laugh when I tell them that, including my husband when he found out I was doing it, but I have discovered a lot of great shows about modern chinese culture and international adoption from doing this. This weekly TV planning routine lead to the discovery of this television show. The first episode was about China and my search picked it up.
The show is on Science Channel, no idea why, kind of like Ice Road Truckers being on History channel. Ricky Gervais produces it and basically sends his friend, Karl, on trips to the seven wonders of the world to experience the culture in depth. Karl is someone who has never really traveled outside of England and has a fairly narrow view of the world. The show is very funny and inevitably you will see other people you know in Karl. I'd watch it for just the scenes of Ricky Gervais laughing hysterically if nothing else.
2. The Moth
I'm a sucker for good oral storytelling. Probably because that was what I would have loved to have done if I had went my original career path of journalism. While This American Life is still my favorite, I've recently subscribed to this podcast and have really enjoyed it.
They hold events across the country and
allow people to come in and tell their stories to an audience. This link below is to a story from the Moth that Darryl McDaniels from Run DMC did recently that I particularly enjoyed.
3. Grasshopper shoes
Found this brand of shoes at DSW this month and they are the most comfortable shoe I've ever had. During my week off this month I did some "stress relief" at the mall and for the first time while I was shopping I thought about how my purchases would work in an "active mom's life." I'm slowly letting myself have those thoughts and plan my future with "mom" being a role for me. I've also been working on the active part and have successfully been going to the gym regularly for 3 months. I am now running more than I ever have, 30 minutes non-stop. Which for me is huge! Anyway, I used to go for style over function in shoes but now factor practicality equally into the equation. And lucky for me there are a lot of cute comfortable shoes out there. The Grasshopper brand does have a lot of orthopedic looking shoes but the ones that aren't are worth it. Just wish the weather would warm up so I could wear them with skirts without tights!
4. The Hives
Adam introduced them to me as I was looking for new music for my workout mix. Upbeat, fun rock that is good to run to. My favorite is Tick, Tick Boom.
5. Le Quartier Bakery
We are trying to cutdown on our weekend breakfast budget and calorie count so we have been trying some new way to satisfy our breakfast cravings. This bakery in Countryside Village in Omaha is great. I usually have a chocolate almond pastry and a coffee. The pastries aren't what I would call healthy but much better than a full fledged breakfast out. We've been stopping by here before we run out to do errands on Saturdays. They also have great breads like blue cheese sourdough or chocolate sourdough.


I love the shoes. I am looking for ways to creep out of my comfort mom zone and not wear tennis shoes everyday. Thank you for the inspiration
ReplyDelete