Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Asian Food Night

I attempted to make some Chinese food last night. I have never made much Asian food in the past even though I cook quite a bit. I have received a few Asian cookbooks over the past couple of months and now that work has calmed down a bit I thought I would try a few recipes. I started out with some pretty basic things. I made potstickers. The recipe ended up making about 40 of them but once I figured out how to assemble them it actually went fairly quickly. I ended up freezing about half of them for later.

They had great flavor and we used plain soy sauce for dipping. To cook the potstickers you brown them in a bit of oil first and then pour chicken broth in the pan and almost steam them until all of the liquid is absorbed. Stand back when
the chicken broth hits the leftover oil.  I'm not sure if this is the traditional way to make them but my recipe told me to and it worked!





 Also made chicken with broccoli in oyster sauce. I've gained quite a few Asian ingredients recently to familiarize myself with. The Asian Market here in Omaha has so much stuff. It is on 76th and Cass and they have a huge variety of all kinds of ethnic foods, not just Asian. Also for those of you haven't seen me this week, got my hair a bit dark while coloring it. I'm actually going to get it professionally colored in a week and half to go quite a bit lighter, first time in the past 5 years for professional coloring!


I do not have a wok and have heard mixed reviews on whether you actually need one. I do have a gas stove which helps with a wok but am still debating. Anyone who cooks a lot of Asian food let me know your thoughts. This non stick pan actually worked fairly well for the dish in place of the wok. I did get a bamboo steamer which I am going to try steamed dumplings in next week I think! Anyone who enjoys Asian food let me know and you can be my guinea pigs!

6 comments:

  1. Aki's oriental store is on 84th st south of the interstate. It's where WIll's mom gets her stuff and where WIll go t all of his asian stuff when we lived in Omaha. We never use our wok. always a nonstick pan, it just seems to work better. YOur food looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin, I will have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will eat it! Jake wants to know if you deliver:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be your guinea pig :) I love Chinese food! Maybe we'll have to come visit! I use a wok fairly often -- but almost always for the same meal. It wasn't very expensive, but does take up space so if you already have a large nonstick pan, that would probably suffice. I could be wrong on an advantage, but there's a smaller surface area touching the burner. I find I don't need as much oil or have the food burn/stick as easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina- I've heard the same about using the nonstick pan instead of a wok. I think we will stick with that for now. You guys should come visit once we have our child home! MIght be close in age to Declan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy- Unfortunately I don't deliver but you are welcome to come over anytime!

    ReplyDelete