We've reached that point where we are so ready to come home! We have had a really good trip this time but you can only live in a hotel room with a toddler for so long in China. This is Adam and I's 13th night away. We have two more nights here in Guangzhou left and then one night in Hong Kong, and sort of one night in the air. I do love China and we will definitely be back several times, but most likely under different circumstances. Where we don't have to worry about packing, meeting, and getting to know our new child. We went with a couple other families to Shamian Island today. We decided we would take the subway there, which went pretty smoothly despite being crowded.......with one minor exception. In China you must do a lot of pushing to make your way off a crowded subway. So while the doors are open at our station everyone got off in time.......except Hattie and I. Adam tried to stick his hand in the door but had to yank it out before it was torn off. It was one of those moments where I was staring through the doors at everyone else on the other side, they were motioning they would stay there. I decided not to panic and Hattie and I would just ride it down one stop and then come back up. Which we did, however I ended up on the other side of the station and couldn't get across. I was determined not to panic, then I realized I had no money and no phone on me and I was carrying a 2 year old through the Guangzhou subway. I allowed a bit of panic to happen and made a plan. The doors open on both sides of the train so I would have to go across two trains while both doors were open to get back across. I knew this would involve a lot of pushing, put on my gameface and got us back across. I was very relieved to see them still there! I did have to physically push one gentleman out of my way on the last train across, but well worth it. Shamian is where a lot of adoptive families used to stay but the island has since lost the adoption business. There is still fairly good kids shopping and traditional Chinese goods shopping there though, and it's much quieter and greener and cheaper than the city. Finally purchased some new sunglasses since Hattie broke mine on her first day here. They are Gucci and I got them for about $9. Hmmmmm not sure if they are real?? Picked up some fun umbrellas for the girls.
 |
| An umbrella and a slinky are hard to handle all at once |
 |
| The island is hugely popular for photographers, especially weddings |
 |
| Lots of fun statues, but it was so freaking hot Hattie was not having photos, decided to stay in her stroller |
Strange siting of the day.....seeing a girl eat corn on the cob
while driving around 30 mph. We weren't sure whether to be impressed or scared. We took a taxi back to the hotel, relaxed, and explored a bit more in the parks nearby. Lots of people out for leisure time. Very community focused which was nice to see.
 |
| They love badminton here. Lots of competitive on TV and whole set of courts in the park |
 |
| Outdoor gym, no membership fees! |
 |
| And of course the ping pong courts. |
 |
Hattie has already learned how to turn on and off the TV, angrily
|
Adam did some rough housing with Hattie and she loved it. Looks like Naomi and Hattie will have to compete for air time. Why do kids love this? I would surely vomit if someone could get me up like that.
We did laundry tonight in the bathtub again. I just can't bring myself to have someone else do my laundry that isn't my mom or I.
We also ordered room service for the first time in all of our lives!
Our lovely neighbors sent us photos and an account of what happened in front of our house and in our backyard Friday night. Scary, crazy story for another time. I love seeing three cops leading a handcuffed criminal out of a backyard and being able to say, "hey that's my deck in the background." Especially when I'm halfway across the world.
Hattie continues to be really great and feel more comfortable. She has a bit of a nasty cold right now so lots of little girl snoring at night, better than big man snoring I sometimes get. The first couple of days at breakfast she would eat anything. Today she has become much more opinionated on food. Handing things back to us she doesn't want. She loves yogurt, which some of you know drives me crazy! Still doesn't like chocolate. Not as big of a fan of the tablet as Naomi was. Frustrating a bit more easily. Will wear headbands! Naomi absolutely hated hair accessories, still does to some extent. So nice to have Hattie willingly wear them. Likes to pretend to make food and feed you. Really good at keeping the time or beat with clapping, stomping and dancing. Music may be her thing. Lots of jumping today in the hotel room. Sleeping through the night. Will now put her head down on our shoulders when holding her when she's tired or sad. I am getting so excited for Hattie to see her new home and meet her sister! 3 more nights!
No comments:
Post a Comment