Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Last night in Guangzhou

I missed a blog post yesterday! It was a pretty uneventful day and I was super tired and fell asleep trying to type anything. Also fell asleep last night too! Anyway, Monday we explored a bit around the hotel more. We were going to go to the zoo here but instead chose to go to the civil affairs building to meet the adoptive parents who were adopting Hattie's best friend. We met them and exchanged information and showed them photos of their daughter we had taken on Friday. They are not planning on going to the orphanage so we can luckily share all of the ones we have. The mom was very emotional that she could have them. They were very sweet and this was their first child together. They live in Michigan. So not quite as glamorous as Naomi's foster sister who lives in Amsterdam, but closer. I'm hopeful they can be "pen pals" probably by email but nonetheless a great connection for her to have in the US! We skipped out of their quick so they could have their gotcha day all to themselves. We visited the San Yet Sun Memorial by our hotel, kind of like the Orpheum in terms of purpose here in Guangzhou, but much bigger and older. Hattie loves music so we captured a few of her dancing. The girl also loves accessories of any kind, headband plus sunglasses were the ones of choice Monday. Sunglasses are interesting since her ears are significantly different heights, may not be a good option for her, she might have to be a hat girl.
San Yet Sun Memorial Hall, no idea who he is as everything was in Chinese.

Guangzhou

Interesting nap position

Dancing

Add caption
Monday night we went to the group dinner which was really nice. Had traditional Cantonese food and Chinese Barbecue.  Attempted a bath again. I tried to get into the bathtub with my swimsuit on, ended up staying in for about 20 minutes trying to play and coax her in. Didn't work. She did tolerate the shower after awhile, not hair washing though. It's so amazing to see the confidence in Hattie over the past 8 days with us, just not with water. She's l
earned how to shake her head no, especially at breakfast for food. Testing us a bit and doing things after we say no and then looking at us. Running to us to be carried, a lot more.

Tuesday morning we went to the new US Consulate here in Guangzhou to apply for the immigrant visa we need for Hattie to come home. The new US consulate is super nice, very modern architecture. Tons of Chinese citizens trying to get a visa to the US, crazy number standing outside. We played our American citizen cards and got right to the front. I always find it weird when I say my daughters are immigrants, I mean they are, but still sounds weird. Tuesday night was the Pearl River Cruise. One of my favorite things we did last trip. It signals the end and going home, it's beautiful, and last time Naomi would let me hold her for long periods of time on the boat. It again was a great night. Ate beer and pizza inside the boat and enjoyed lights for about a half hour or so.

This girl loves pizza, I must admit I do love having one good eater


There was a Chinese group very excited for the World Cup on board, and they were for a German team, strange siting of the day.





Adam's Lion King pose

I told you she has mastered the dirty look

Interesting boat name
Hattie sang most of the way home, she was such a happy girl tonight. Her life has changed so much in the past 8 days, it's unbelievable. I am ready to come home but sad a bit to leave mainland China tomorrow. Especially sad because I have work to do when I come home. You sort of forget you have a job while here. The bonding time with Hattie alone has been great and this trip has been nice as well. I can't wait to see Naomi in about 48 hours. Every time I see a photo or Skype with her I think I can tell her hair has grown, that means you've been gone too long. I'm not sure about our internet access on Wednesday in Hong Kong but will hopefully have one more post before we get on that plane from Hong Kong to Chicago. Home stretch is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment