We then went to the group family that Hattie lived in. There are about 10 kids in each little home with a couple of caregivers. We met all of her caregivers or "aunties" as they call them. They all wanted to hold her again and immediately one grabbed Hattie and took her back to the bathroom to wipe her nose and eyes off from her cold. Silly Americans leaving their kids faces dirty. It was actually quite sweet. We took pictures of Hattie with all of her caregivers she has really had there over the past year at least. We saw her crib where she slept each night, where she took a bath, where she
played every day. We met her friends and played with them for about 15-20 minutes. We got tons of photos and videos of Hattie there with them, and with her best friend. Who we found out is being adopted on Monday in Guangzhou at the same place we met Hattie last Monday. We know she is going to an American family and may be able to get them our contact info! Or if they are staying at our hotel, meet them! Hattie immediately grabbed her ball and started playing with it and running around the house. I will not be posting any photos of the kids or caregivers to protect their privacy here though.
| Naomi will be happy to know Hattie already knows how to watch TV |
| Playground |
| Ride back from Dongguan |
We then drove about 20 minutes to Hattie's finding place. The place has since went bankrupt so we couldn't get super close but we got some photos and some of the nearby area. In talking with our guide she filled us in more on the area and possible reasons for Hattie's birth parents not to being able to parent her. No photos or more details on this as it is Hattie's story to share as she sees fit. A bit heartbreaking to visit. While these were incredibly important trips for Hattie as she grows up, I feel I know my daughter better, I feel a bigger connection to her after this. I had a chance to interact and participate in her world for a short while. I know parts of her I didn't think I would have the luxury of knowing at this point. For 30 minutes I didn't feel I was here to just adopt Hattie but instead to be part of this world in China. She was more talkative and asking to be carried more after our visit today. She feels more relaxed in my arms tonight. A bit of closure for all of us. It was a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment